Hybrid learning model to include Minecraft classes

To help students better adapt to in-person learning, the Aragon administration has adopted a new remote learning policy for students in Cohort C. Drawing inspiration from the student-made Minecraft server replicating campus, the school opted to host classes on the server to provide an immersive environment for students.

Teachers utilized the asynchronous days from March 24 to 26 to create Minecraft accounts, watch hours of Technoblade streams on Twitch and build their classrooms. The district also allocated funds towards gaming chairs, noise cancellation cat ear headsets and RGB keyboards to accommodate teachers.

“It’s a more hip and chic approach to teaching that I’m not too familiar with, but I didn’t get my teaching certificate at Stanford for nothing,” said history teacher Jimothy Kennedy. “I really look forward to mingling with the students in this new way.”

In addition, some teachers have migrated from Zoom to popular streaming platform Twitch to fully embrace the experience of being a hardcore gamer.

“Since I’ve started streaming on Twitch, I’ve gotten a lot of subs and donations. I’m pretty sure I’m almost past Pokimane in terms of subscribers,” said English teacher Brooke Lover. “The students are really teaching me new information such as saying ‘sheeeeesh’ like an emergency siren.”

For students assigned to Cohort C, many of them expressed their joy of participating in distance learning through Minecraft.

“Playing League of Legends and Valorant during Zoom classes has enhanced my intellectual capacity and ability to multitask,” said senior Guy McGee. “I think this program with Minecraft will only bolster my academic mentality.”

Attending school on Minecraft also ushers in new school safety policies. Category C violations now include but are not limited to crafting swords on campus, using fly hacks and installing aimbot. Students have echoed this sentiment since many feel restricted from expressing themselves.

“The only downside was that I had to change my gamer tag from ‘Xx_Shaq_is_Papi_xX’ to something more school-appropriate like ‘themanwhosteppedintoyesterday,’” McGee said.

Others, however, have fears that the combination of gaming and school compromises education and has bad consequences on students.

“Gaming is a cancer in the mind of teenagers which must be excised,” said freshman Fregley Fergie. “I’m not like the other students. I love to read in my free time, my unweighted GPA is a 4.5 and I enjoy spending hours talking to Mr. Silton about the Civil War. The district’s new policy is outright dangerous for students and should not be allowed.”

Despite concerns from students over the education they would be receiving on Minecraft, many classes have adapted to the Minecraft server. For example, physical education classes are now solely based on parkour courses and click per second tests. Art and ceramics have opted to make pixel art to stress the importance of geometric flair. Engineering technology class and Aragon Robotics have also decided to use redstone dust to automate machinery within their projects.

As finals begin next month, some teachers have decided to replace traditional quizzes with duels on Minecraft. Students who beat their teachers in the duel pass the class.

“I’ve prepared a lot for the finals. I practiced jitter clicking and I hired a professional Minecraft player to coach me,” said physics teacher Steve Ratto. “No one’s passing my class this year.”

Popular posts from this blog

SMUHSD Board replaced by Hillsborough moms

If you’re craving validation, try this soothing app

A Letter to the Editor - High Achieving Student Grades Matter