If you’re craving validation, try this soothing app

Throughout the pandemic, Aragon students have reported high levels of stress due to the complications of online school and a lack of social interaction. To remedy this, students Stray Tays and Cahm Psy created the application Soothe, which contains hundreds of validating voice recordings from Aragon staff members for students to listen to, curated to their needs.

“Every night I lie in bed and listen to Ms. Thurtle tell me that she thinks my essayis ‘insightful’ while staring at my ceiling,” said freshman Gru Stick. “It’s really the only way I can feel calm enough to sleep anymore.”

Since its release on April 1, the app has been downloaded over a thousand times. Popular sounds include “You’re a pleasure to have in class," “I’m going to miss you so much next year” and “Thank you for your lovely comments during the Socratic!”

Students often find these recordings comforting or meditative in nature.

“When I found out I got rejected from every college I applied to, I immediately turned on the recording of Ms. Wei laughing about her cardboard cutout of Twilight star Taylor Lautner and felt a lot better,” said senior Bub Zee.

Although most of the recordings feature general academic praise or soothing reassurance, some are more specific to a certain class or teacher. Scott Silton, this month’s featured content creator, gives non-traditional compliments for students who want something a little different.

“Bland, generic praise will get you nowhere. What you sheeple need is deep, critical analysis,” Silton said. “You want that feedback packaged in a ‘love sandwich?’Ok, here goes. Your lead was cliche, your copy editing was sloppy, your conclusion perfunctory, and also, your choice of sources reflected a commitment to plutocracy and white supremacy, but great job! You only missed your deadline by 24 hours this time. Now that you got your love sandwich, you better eat it!”

Silton also holds the record for longest teacher recording at 57 minutes and 43 seconds.

“I honestly forgot I was recording,” Silton said. “I gave some compliments or whatever, but then I started talking about the way broadcast journalism influences the political beliefs of Middle America and got a little carried away.”

However, the feedback for Soothe is not all positive. Some have criticized it for feeling too fake, while others think it feeds into the superiority complexes of nerdy students.

“The popularity of this app is honestly concerning,” said wellness counselor Meddi Tate. “The amount of counseling appointments has dropped by half. I’m begging you guys to develop some hobbies outside of school. Go on a walk or touch some grass or something. Please.”

Popular posts from this blog

SMUHSD Board replaced by Hillsborough moms

A Letter to the Editor - High Achieving Student Grades Matter